Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Sketch of the Week

I have a sketch for you guys this week! I told you all sometime in the past that I was experimenting with different drawing media, and here is one of the results! Find out all about it after the jump...










Eli Yawns

What I Used: Prismacolor fine line markers-- sizes 01 and 005.
Inspired by: Revisiting the idea of using pen and ink (even though this is technically a marker sketch).
For many years up to now, I had stopped using ink completely, in favor of using pencil almost exclusively. Why? 1) I always found ink to be too much of a hassle, especially when making corrections. I hate using correction fluid because it takes too long! 2) I always thought that my pencil drawings looked so much better than my inked ones. Ink took away that organic, sketchy look that I like. However... my mind was changed when I read this book...

The Artist's Best Friend: The book is called Sketching Your Favorite Subjects in Pen and Ink by Claudia Nice, and it really showed me what effects I could create with ink. It helped me to relax and not be so uptight when inking. And, I can correct any mistakes on the computer-- so no more white poster paint! It's been a few months since I've started back using pens, and I think I'm getting the hang of it. It's a lot of fun too.


Well, this little sketch is just a tiny bit of what I've been doing lately. Unfortunately, "What I've Been Doing Lately" has been taking my time away from this blog. Sorry 'bout that. But I'm sure I'll be seeing you guys again soon. Don't forget to check out Page 47 with YJ this Sunday! Bye for now! ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment