Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sketch of the Week

Guess who! The Sketch of the Week is back! This one is a pretty rough sketch, in a medium I don't believe I've used in any other sketch posting up to now...


 
Marion at 25

Inspired by: Oh, dear. I don't quite remember exactly what inspired me to do this, but I was inspired to post this by the upcoming strip this Friday. I will say no more.

What I Used: Vine charcoal on newsprint paper. At the time I did this sketch, I was playing around with drawing really quick charcoal portraits. It's a nice change from all the hours-long drawings I do almost exclusively. I guess I consider it exercise. It's a lot freer drawing this way.

The Artist's Best Friend(s): A couple of people I spoke to during the time I was trying to apply to art school back in '04. A high school art teacher I went to for advice and a letter of recommendation suggested I try charcoal (I was only using pencil and ink). My admissions counselor also suggested drawing quick little figure drawings using charcoal on newsprint paper. So, I guess that's where I got the idea from.

Thanks for reading! A relatively short posting this week, but Shapeshifting & YOU Pt. 7 is just around the corner. See y'all then!

No comments:

Post a Comment