Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Drawing of the Week

Hiya! Pearl Garden here. It's the first installment of the Drawing of the Week, and let me just say-- I hope you enjoy the artwork! Each week I'll post an illustration, but I'll also tell about my inspiration, the tools I used, and the "Artist's Best Friend." Critiques are very very very very welcome!




This week's illustration is called Grits 'R' Us, of course.

Inspired By: Umm... this slogan actually just kinda popped into my head one evening. I think I was thinking of the South at the time, so I guess Southern pride is what inspired me ^^. Andrea wears t-shirts with sassy slogans as part of her wardrobe. I 'd like to show that more in future pages.

What I Used: Canson Mi-Tientes pastel paper, pastels rubbed on with Q-tips, Prismacolor colored pencils, and a colorless marker blender. I used the marker blender to blend the colored pencil for the jeans. I love it 'cause it's almost as if you're painting with colored pencils.

The Artist's Best Friend: In this case it was a Delia's catalog for especially the blue jean references. For all you comic artists out there-- KEEP YOUR JUNK MAIL! For me, I kept fashion and home decor catalogs from Spring 2008 to Spring 2009, which is when Shapeshift Fantasy takes place. For a story like this, which will probably take years to complete, it's good to have some historical references ^^. I've also kept a journal  of major news events that happened in the above-mentioned time-frame. So you will be seeing how those events affect the characters...

Okay, so this was kinda fun, actually. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find anything to say! I'll be back next Wednesday with another sketch or drawing and some behind-the-scenes info.  Again, please leave comments, critiques, or questions. I'd love to hear from you. Bye-ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment