Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Sketch of the Week


Hiya! Pearl Garden here with the very first Sketch of the Week. Now, the Sketch of the Week is different from the Drawing of the Week in that it features rougher works, concepts, and practice sketches. Soon I hope to show some of the first sketches of the characters and how different some of them looked... but for now I'll post my most recent sketch of a young... Marion! See the full pic after the jump. Comments and questions are welcome welcome welcome!




Marion age 10

Inspired By: Last Friday's strip "The Womanly Art of Shapeshifting" Part 10. It featured a little flashback of Marion in 1967 trying (and failing) to permanently shapeshift her ears. So, I wanted to further explore what Marion might have looked like back then. She was tomboyish and strong-willed (not unlike Andrea), so I wanted to give her a look that wasn't too girly, but not too butch either. ^^

What I Used: Just pencils and a sketchbook.

The Artist's Best Friend: Bing.com image search and Flickr really helped me to find specific examples of the clothing and hairstyles worn by children back in '67. I love Flickr especially because of the old family photos-- they give the truest *picture* of what life looked like back then.

Well, that's it. In the future, we hope to present more of Marion's childhood in the comic; either through flashbacks or from Marion's own telling (or in strips!).  See ya on Friday for the final installment of "The Womanly Art of Shapeshifting"! Bye-ya!



No comments:

Post a Comment