Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sketch of the Week

I've returned with two sketches this week-- this time it's Marion's transition from a blond into... well, what she is today! Read all about it after the jump!










The Evolution of Marion, Pt. II
Inspired by: I knew it was time to give Marion's design another try. I gave her her black hair back (that's the color she had in the very very beginning), and, because all the other characters had straight hair, I decided to make it wavy. I have to say that I was inspired looking through a Coldwater Creek catalog. At that time, I wanted Marion to have a borderline-hippie style of dress. She was actually going to be more of a New Age type personality. I'll explain in a little while...
BTW, it was at this time I changed her dog Eli from an Aussie Shepherd named Horatio (can you believe it?), to the PBGV we all know and love.

What I Used: Pencils and a sketch book.

Why the Artist Basically Stuck With This Design, With Some Caveats: Okay, as I mentioned earlier, Marion Ellis was a more new age character in her approach to life and her field of psychology. Her clothing in these sketches was meant to reflect that, so it was more flowy and artsy and colorful. The Marion you see every week on this blog still has a more spiritualist view of psychology, but I had decided that her clothing would actually be very conservative and professional, to show how seriously she takes that view.  In other words, I started using the (now defunct) Talbot's catalog for her office wardrobe, rather than using the flowy tunics I saw in Coldwater Creek. ^^ I also really like the way I drew her hands in these sketches. As of yet, I haven't been able to recreate them, but I'm definitely going to try again.

All righty! Thanks for reading, once again! This Friday, check out our new profile of Andrea's mom Ernestine, and come bak Sunday for Page 34! See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment